Sunday, September 20, 2009

Over the hump...


Whew...

This was perhaps the most difficult (image-wise) page of the story to get through...
With the unsettling imagery and multiple effects, this page was really a true test of my newfound coloring skills.

It was hard to keep the color simple but interesting while trying not to over-accentuate the brutality of the action on display...
I'm happy with the results... but I'm still sure that I will be tweaking the image further as I push forward and better master the tools at my disposal.

The next page contains the last two video panels in the story... but I've got a good handle on them now so I'm not as concerned as I was when I began this sequence. Also, the following story sequence contains one of the most violent panels in the entire tale... but because those involved are less than savory characters, it doesn't bother me nearly as much these past panels where an innocent girl is terribly violated and I can really get into the intensity of the image.

Heading into the final stretch soon... but still have a looong way to go before I can begin to relax...

3 comments:

MadMikeKungFu said...

Hi Greg. I hope all is well with you. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing some of your process for laying out your pages. How do you come up with your great action shots? Do you use reference or is this just all coming out of your head? Please share. Thanks Mike

Greg said...

Howdy Mike!

Sure... I'd be happy to post a few thumbnails to show how the madness begins.

Most of what I draw comes out of my head... it helps with the weird over-the-top angles I like to use that folks could never really pose for.

I'm willing to give up a bit of believability for dramatic effect... I prefer to use a semi-realistic style that emphasizes mood over accuracy to portray a kind of graphic neo-realism... if that makes any sense;)

I'll post some process shots soon... thanks for the interest!

MadMikeKungFu said...

Hi Greg. Thanks would love to see how the process starts. That's so great that you can come up with a pose and draw it correctly. Forget just the pose you do a whole scene and get it correct. I'm just starting to be able to get down the action of a pose but then my anatomy goes splat. I guess it all about practicing. Great work thanks for the inspiration.